Thursday, January 31, 2013

Carnival




Carnival is not part of my culture, though I have been to some in the UK and also Switzerland. I wanted to use colour and the carousel theme to convey a happy, slightly chaotic, celebration. The 3D coronet, held flat with beads,  uses Vikki Pignatelli's double-sided zigzag technique. The black and white stripe refers both to the poles that hold the carousel ponies, and also the poles at the landing stages in Venice, another Carnival icon. I enjoyed working with the abstract units, building the colour blocks to balance and play with each other. The quilting uses modular rectangles as background line only.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your small vignettes. Very nice colour work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bright clean colours. Before reading your piece, the quilt reminded me of carousels. A lovely surprise and fresh image

    ReplyDelete