Thursday, January 31, 2013

Mother and the Clowns



This quilt is based upon a photo I took at our local country town's New Year's  Eve Carnival.
Nearly everyone has had an encounter with these laughing clowns. You might of found them cheerful, magical or downright creepy! I could not resist representing this lovely moment with mother and child. There was a lot of reflected light bouncing around and I loved the way the shiny fake clowns contrasted with the softness of the mother and child.
I used a collage process, first colouring the fabric with crayons and pencils and then fusing all the pieces into place. It was then finished off with thread sketching and quilting. 







5 comments:

  1. So lovely, really well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful quilt. You achieved such a detailed image in such a small small format.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful artistic piece. Such a masterly handling of the medium!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous, when I first saw it I thought it was a photo or painting. Amazing

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great piece of art, Linden. Beautifully done. (And I'll put my vote in the "creepy" column, thank you.)

    ReplyDelete