Sunday, March 31, 2013

Tidal flats



Every single day the tide comes in and out, people walk their dogs and people fall in love.
The graphic image really appealed to me, and I like the way the light reflects on the water and the sand flats that appear as the tide goes out. I only added the people to give a sense of scale and to highlight man's insignificance in the wider scheme of natural forces. It is mainly fused applique and I intentionally chose to use satin stitch to accent the curves and the graphic quality.

13 comments:

  1. I like the pacification of this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful quilt. It gives such a sense of peace and timelessness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I particularly like your clever use of text in the background, also the figures, especially the dog. A very calming quilt.

    From a dog lover, Pamela P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilt and a great idea. Linden

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely subject, the people was a good idea for sense of scale!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well chosen idea and I love the way you have interpreted it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julia,
    Those tiny people (dogs are people too) wow!
    Fantastic detail on a 15" x 15".
    I particularly love the addition of text and the overall "mood"
    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the graphic nature of this quilt, Julia. The color selection is spot-on, too. Did you screenprint the words onto the fabric -- hey're absolutely perfect for this theme.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The text on the fabric is a Lonni Rossi fabric I think. I have had it years and it seemed right for this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing fabric choice they work so well. I do like the way those figures show the scale of the water/waves. Such a tranquil scene

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful illustrated information. I thank you about that. No doubt it will be very useful for my future projects. Would like to see some other posts on the same subject!
    3 bhk flat in andheri west

    ReplyDelete