Friday, May 31, 2013

Morgan and Momoy


This challenge had me a bit flummoxed for a bit; I struggled with how I wanted to represent "leaving my mark".  Each time I considered the challenge, I came back to this thought: the greatest mark I'll leave on this Earth is my children.  They will be here after I'm gone.  Hopefully, they will be good people, responsible global citizens, and loving partners and parents.  That's the greatest legacy I can leave.

With that in mind, I created this piece based on a drawing my youngest did when she was 3.  I have it framed and hanging in my studio.  The color selections are directly influenced by what she drew, right down to the faded small figure.... and the spelling mistake. I  mimicked her crayon drawn line with paint and I used my left hand so the lines weren't as sure.

I took the "leaving your mark" theme one step further with my fabrics.  In our group discussions, we've been talking about some of our individual challenges of using only things from our stash.  I wanted to do that, but didn't have a good fabric for the center panel.  As a result, I used a piece of fabric I dyed with onion skins to be ecologically-minded.   Every small step, I hope, makes a difference.


10 comments:

  1. The colours and simplicity of this design are perfect for the quilt. Cute drawing, what a lovely memorie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember talking to you about your kids, and you saying you wanted to leave your mark through them. This is a good way to illustrate that desire while at the same time celebrating the marks made by your daughter. Hope the travels are going well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the drawing but think the effect of the onion skin dyed fabric is really the icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute piece, Vivien. I have collected childrens drawings for years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A special piece, Vivien!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vivien, exactly my though: my bigest mark are my children as they are continuing a line. I wanted to make a quilt using their hand prints, but as I had "used" them in my former challenge quilt Crazy days I finally decided on another mark.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great! I like it! I was thinking the same that children are the best of marks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes Vivien, children are the best of marks. Very apt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vivien, I just love this piece! it is so fitting for the theme. It's wonderful to have your description also. I loved the sentiment in using stashed fabric and onion skin dyed cotton (which turned out fabulous).
    Just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too feel my child will be my *best* mark. This is lovely, Vivien.

    ReplyDelete