Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Factory Girls






The Summer holds a challenge for me to read as much as I possibly can. For our June/July challenge themed "memories"  my mind turned to novels, conjuring characters and creating their fictional memories. Next life, a novelist! Oh to have such a talent.
In the meantime here is my summer novel, created in the form of a small, whimsical quilt. "The factory girls" Can you imagine their story? Can you imagine their memories?

Image transfer, piecing, applique, machine stitching.
With special thanks to Betty London for providing the photograph that was used in this piece.

quilted by Heidi Wulfraat

7 comments:

  1. Well done! I really like your factory image and palette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very laconic and interesting! The photo reminds me my mother's youth photos. I like these orange little spots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this. Your use of black and white is great and I love the photo, I have always wanted to try this, so maybe now I will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, Heidi! Especially the quirky factory chimneys and the 'girls'.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heidi, the quilt is so evocative of the factories and their grime and smoke, brilliant colour pallet. I can not get over how much the lady on the left looks like my mom, it's uncanny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the abstract image of the factory chimneys, and the smiling faces of the women. What a great idea to imagine a novel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These three look like partners in crime! Love 'em.

    A good combo of techniques - it works well.

    ReplyDelete