Monday, September 30, 2013

Rocky Crossing

I found the sound of silence during a busy walk a few weeks ago.   Friends invited me to the World Heritage listed Barrington Ranges to discover their favourite getaway,  Rocky Crossing.   It offered me the perfect image to present for our current theme, Sounds of Silence.

From my vast collection of photo's taken that day, I selected this one to profile my piece.    It was printed at home on prepared fabric for printing.

I wanted to bring you, the viewer, a sense of encountering the sound of silence.   So I framed it with my self-dyed cotton & silk fabrics, organza, and some needle-punched fabrics to bring in soft texture of a forest.   The printed image was enhanced by hand sketching with ink pens, just a little.  Leaves were machine stitched by using water soluble fabric and wool/silks, then raw edge applique stitched to the background.  Colours selected aimed to reflect the richness of the forest atmosphere.

Time was of the essence due to my other priorities - this piece was completed from start to finish within 2 days - the fastest piece I have made yet!   I hope it brings you a sense of peace and reflections of your  own forest-walk experiences.



6 comments:

  1. Pamela, your pool in the forest clearing is inviting us into your world. The framing trees, with their leaf stitching, give the ideal viewpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful, what a wonderful memory, you have captured the stillness and beauty of the forest glade, I can almost hear the bird and insect song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This pond and its surrounding really makes you feel the sound of silence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pamela, you managed to combine photo, different fabrics and needle felting successfully in such a short time. What a challenge! This is my husband's favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like I'm peeking in on a secret world. What a lovely hike you've taken us on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my favorite piece of yours so far. You really captured the atmosphere of the site. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete